Price as at 2 November 2011
Prices fluctuate daily, so it is impossible to update prices every day, so please fill in the form at the bottom of the page for today’s price. I’ll respond as soon as I see your request.
If you would like to order, or have a query about the machine, then use the same form at the bottom as well and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.
CAD/3D-Modelling Machine – The “Tornado”.
When you are working on Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) packages like AutoCAD or 3D-Modelling and architectural packages like 3D-Studio Max, Maya, Inventor, Revit, Rhino, Pro-Engineer or Solidworks or any of the other professional packages out there, they all have a few requirements in common if you are to work in a professionally effective way:
- The fastest possible CPU
- Lots of RAM
- A professional workstation Graphics adapter (NOT a gaming card)
- A large monitor or better still, a dual monitor setup.
- A fast hard drive preferably with an SSD (Solid State Device) as well.
Unfortunately , this stuff is not cheap! But then, neither is the software that runs on it.
I have worked out the ideal system for such users, which balances cost with performance. I have personally used this system with 3D-Studio MAX and Inventor – and it would best be desribed as: WOW!
There are two versions – one with an SSD (the DELUXE version) where the System and program files are stored, and a cheaper one without the SSD. Otherwise the two systems are identical
- It uses the newest Intel Sandybridge I7 processor and 16GB of DDR3 RAM
- A rock-solid Intel performance motherboard
- Large 1TB Hard drive
- 250GB Intel SSD – the fastest SSD currently available. (This is an optional extra which makes the “Deluxe Model”)
- HP nVidia Quadro Graphics adapter with 1Gb Graphics RAM
- Logitech MX5500 Revolution wireless keyboard and mouse. (IMHO, this is the most cofortable and precise mouse for 3D work).
- Superb Quality 600W Corsair Power Supply
- Built in 1000bit/s Network adapter
- 7.1 Audio built in for surround sound
- 22x DVD Read/Writer
- Nvidia-approved Chassis – officially approved as suitable for nVidia Quadro
- 3-year warranty
This is what the internal components look like:
- CPU: Intel Sandybridge lga1155 i7-2600 – Quad core+Hyper-Threading 3.4ghz 3.8ghz turbo boost
- Motherboard: Intel P67BG BurraGe; LGA1155 mb; Chipset: intel P67-B3
- RAM: 4x 4GB DDR3-1600
- Graphics Adapter: HP Quadro 2000 Graphics adapter with 1Gb 128-bit ddr5 Graphics RAM
- Hard Drive: 1TB SATA6G 7200RPM 32MB Cache
- SSD: Intel 510MLC series – 250GB (SATA6G read/write : 500/315mb/sec) – DELUXE Model Only
- PSU: Corsair GS600 600W Power Supply
- DVD: 22x SATA Super Multi – Double Layer dvd-R + dvd±r/rw + dvd-ram + cd+/-rw
- Logitech Cordless Desktop MK710, LCD display
- Coolermaster cm690ii Advanced , Nvidia edition chassis.
Standard Model (Without SSD) R14687 + VAT = R16742
Deluxe Model (With SSD) R19975 + VAT = R22772
Price includes assembly and testing.
Price does not include a monitor or software. See below for suggestions.
- If you purchase Windows (see below), I will install it for you and update it with the latest service packs, patches and drivers.
- If you purchase Antivirus, I will install it for you and download the latest definitions.
- If you purchase one of the Microsoft Office suites, I will install it, download the latest updates and set up Outlook to work with your e-mail account.
There are literally thousands of extra goodies that I can supply you with.
Here are a few of the most common items that are usually bought together with the machine:
LCD or LED Screen Monitors
There are scores of monitors from different manufacturers available. I have selected five different monitors as suggestions to go with your machine. They are all “wide screen” types:
|Price Excl. VAT||Price Incl. VAT|
|Asus VH192D, 18.5″, LCD, 1360x768px, Contrast Ratio 10000:1||R780||R889|
|Samsung B1930N, 18.5″, LCD 1360×768, Contrast Ratio 50000:1||R866||R987|
|LG E2041S-bn, 20″, LED, 1600x900px, DFC contrast ratio – 5000000:1||R1021||R1164|
|LG E2241T-bn, 22″, LED, Full HD 1920×1080, DFC contrast ratio- 5000000:1||R1724||R1965|
|Asus VE247H , 23.6″ Wide LED , Full-HD, 2 x 1w speaker , 1920×1080, ASCR contrast ratio – 10000000:1||R2874||R3276|
For Gaming, I particularly recommend a somewhat larger screen like the 23.6″ ASUS VE247H
You will need operating system software to run the machine. You might already have your copy of Microsoft Windows, you might prefer Ubuntu Linux, but if you wish to order Windows7 from me, here are the available versions.
For this machine I would recommend Windows Home Basic – 64-bit although any one of them will work just fine. :
|Price Excl. VAT||Price Incl. VAT|
|Windows 7 Home Basic 32bit||R769||R877|
|Windows 7 Home Basic 64bit||R769||R877|
|Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit||R968||R1104|
|Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit||R968||R1104|
|Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit + 32bit||R1219||R1390|
|Windows 7 Professional 32bit||R1303||R1485|
|Windows 7 Professional 64bit||R1316||R1500|
|Windows 7 Professional 64bit + 32bit||R2091||R2383|
|Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit||R1755||R2001|
|Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit||R1755||R2001|
|Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit + 64bit||R2037||R2322|
If you are on the Internet, an antivirus is essential. There are free antivirus programs and there are those that cost an annual fee. Free antivirus? Well… let’s just say: “You pay for what you get”. An antivirus program is initially purchased (from your computer supplier – someone like me) and then usually renewed annually over the internet using your credit card. If you are uncomfortable with credit cards over the internet, then you can always get another disk from me in a year’s time. There are two anti-virus programs that I recommend. You only need to buy one of them. I recommend the Kapersky.
|Price Excl. VAT||Price Incl. VAT|
|Norton Anti-Virus 2011||R132||R151|
|Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011||R153||R174|
There are hundreds of thousands of programs available. Most are purchased directly from the manufacturers on the Internet via credit card.
The most often-used program suite is Microsoft Office (Word, excel, outlook etc…), which, curiously, is usually not purchased over the Internet and downloaded. Instead Microsoft office is usually purchased from a computer supplier like me. Here are the current prices.
If you are a home user who does not use Outlook, then go for the “Home and Student” version. If you need Microsoft Outlook, however, then the “Home and Business” version should do you fine.
|Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010 – with DVD – includes word, excel, powerpoint, onenote – licensed for noncommerical use||R697||R794|
|Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 – with DVD – includes word, excel, powerpoint, onenote , outlook||R1531||R1745|
|Microsoft Office Professional 2010 – with DVD – includes word, excel, powerpoint , onenote , outlook, publisher, access||R3997||R4557|